|"Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel"|
|The Venture Bros. episode|
|Directed by||Jackson Publick|
|Written by||Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick|
|Original air date||October 18th, 2009|
|List of The Venture Bros. episodes|
Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel is the first episode of Season 4 and the overall fortieth episode of The Venture Bros.
- The opening sequence employs heavy references to the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark. Dr. Orpheus is wearing the same ceremonial robes that Belloq wears when they open the Ark towards the end of the movie. Also referenced is when he tells Dean to "not look at it, no matter what happens." This is the same instructions Indiana Jones gives to Marion when the Nazi's open the Ark. When Dr. Orpheus unleashes the magic lightning from his staff, his destruction of the Nazi's holding Dr. Venture hostage mimics the scene where the Nazi's are killed by the Ark of the Covenant. The two guards are pierced by the magic lightning and their leader even exclaims "It's beautiful," just before his face melts off in the same manner as Toht.
- Potential references are made to the film Brokeback Mountain (2005).
- When Brock finally returns home, Dean hugs him and says "I knew you couldn't quit us!" One of the most famous lines of the film was "I wish I knew how to quit you."
- A critical scene in the movie has the protagonist tenderly caressing his deceased lover's denim jacket. Hank, who idolizes Brock and has been pouting since he left, receives Brock's denim jacket in the mail from Argentina and becomes obsessed with it--wearing it everywhere and eventually writing a song about it with Dermott Fictel in Operation P.R.O.M.
- A Wilhelm Scream is heard when Brock jumps out of the OSI flying headquarters and lands on a trooper using a jetpack.
- Dean names the dog containing Hitler's blood "Giant Boy Detective" after his favorite series of books.
- Dean reads aloud from GIANT BOY DETECTIVE and The Haunted Mine to Mr. Doe, annoying the OSI agent to the point of giving him a migraine. Doe snatches the book from Dean, flips ahead five chapters to the end, and reads him the conclusion to shut him up.
- When Brock returns to the Venture Compound and asks where everybody is, Dean replies that Hank is in the bathroom with Mr. Doe. Mr. Doe was actually in the room with Dean and Brock (though unconscious, having just been knocked out by Brock); Mr. Cardholder was the one guarding Hank.
| Preceded by:|
"The Family That Slays Together, Stays Together (Part II)"
| The Venture Bros. episodes|
October 25, 2009
| Followed by:|